On the weekend of 29th and 30th October one of the biggest events on the adventure racing calendar – the Merrell Eden Duo Adventure Race – took place out of The Wilderness National Park. This is an adventure race done over 40 km, or the big one 150 km – with a cut off time of 24 hours. Oakhill’s adventure racers once again stole the spotlight with record-breaking results from a number of Oakhill students.
Results from the 40km Eden Duo race:
- 1st overall and 1st junior team – Ben Giliomee and Devin Kruger in a time of 2 hours and 59 minutes
- 3rd overall and 1st mixed team – Nicola Giliomee and Chris Nel in a time of 3 hours and 11 minutes
- 11th overall and 2nd ladies team – Michaela Beers and Gabriella Orzechowski in a time of 4 hours and 47 minutes
- 21st overall Josh Nel and Kevin Redman in a time of 4 hours 28 minutes
- 23rd overall and the 3rd ladies team – Amy Williams and Olivia Gardy in a time of 4 hours and 29 minutes
Results from the 150km Eden Duo race:
Brandon Wilcocks and Nick Cuthbert became the youngest team members to win the Eden Duo 150 km Adventure Race. They won their category of the first males home and were the overall winners of the race, being the Elite Men and winning prize money of R10.000-00. They were super awesome and led from the beginning, they were uncatchable and unstoppable.
Mikayla Oliver and Nina Orzechowski became the youngest females to win the female category of the Eden Duo 150, and despite taking a wrong turn and doing an extra 2 hour cycle leg through some awful passes, managed to catch up and overtake the leading female team from the Eastern Cape to win the overall female category.
What an amazing achievement for Oakhill, having both male and female senior categories won by junior athletes from Oakhill!
Adventure Racing at Oakhill is alive and well, and in a fantastic space. Oakhill is busy moulding some of the countries top athletes in this amazing discipline.
Oakhill Sport Director